Celebrate National Ice Cream Month!
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!!
What a great way to celebrate summer – ice cream sundaes, ice cream cones, milk shakes, and especially homemade ice cream! We do our fair share of consuming ice cream ALL year round but July is actually National Ice Cream Month! In 1984, President Ronald Reagan made this designation because he loved ice cream so much. In fact, the third Sunday of the month is even National Ice Cream Day – which happens to be on Sunday, July 17th this year.
If you’ve ever wanted to make homemade ice cream but don’t have an ice cream maker, you are in luck! Here is a simple, easy, and super tasty treat that you can make with ingredients that you probably already have at home. This one is always a winner with kids too because they can get involved and make their own!
Being a dairy farm family, we love to find ways to enjoy our dairy products and this one was a huge hit with a group of kids at our farm during a summer cow camp! We hope you enjoy!
Ice Cream in a Bag
1 T. sugar
½ C. whole milk or half & half
¼ t. vanilla extract
6 T. rock salt
1 pint-size Ziploc plastic bag
1 gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag
How To Make It
- Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
- Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
- Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.
- Shake until mixture is ice cream, 5-10 minutes.
- Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy.
- Feel free to add chocolate syrup, nuts, strawberries or any other ice cream topping!