By Ginny Tauer of Indiana Beef
Six ingredients are all it takes to make this belly-warming one-dish meal. Brown Beef for Stew to develop rich color and flavor. Stir in white beans, Italian-style diced tomatoes and Swiss chard. Simmer until beef is fork-tender. Finish this pippin' hot dish with a topping of Parmesan cheese.
Beef, Bean and Spinach Ragout
Total recipe time: 2 to 2-1/2 hours
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1. 2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
2. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3. 1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern beans, undrained
4. 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
5. 1 pound Swiss chard, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
6. 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef. Season with salt, as desired.
2. Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Add beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 hours. Stir in Swiss chard; return to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 30 to 60 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Sprinkle with cheese.