Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Italian Wedding Soup with Cheesy Meatballs


gUEST pOST BY  OF wINNERSdRINKMILK.COM

frost close up on leaf2The temperature dropped, just after a wonderful stretch of beautiful warm weather in late September. 

Can you guess what happens next?  

If you guessed people dig out the cold weather comfort food: chili (no doubt), soups and crock pot creations, then we are on the same page.  

I thought about taking a poll to see how many people made chili that first weekend when the temperature plummeted.  I’d bet more than you realize.  Maybe I’ll ask that incredibly nice lady greeting me at my favorite grocery superstore.  

But I digress, back to comfort food, ah yes.

Sure enough at my house they requested Italian Wedding Soup with homemade cheesy meatballs.  This is a simple soup with great tasting meatballs.  It’s a pleaser for all in my household because it’s different than what is usually on the menu and my picky eaters love it as well. There is nothing worse for me than to make something that only some of us are excited about. It just gives you a great feeling to know that everyone will enjoy their dinner that evening. The recipe calls for 1 ½ pounds of ground turkey for the meatballs however, I alter my meatballs a bit by using 1 pound of ground turkey and ½ pound of sausage. It gives the meatballs a great flavor. I’m sure you will find a way to make it your own. 

  Italian Wedding Soup with Cheesy Meatballsitalian wedding soup 

Ingredients

1 ½ lb. ground turkey 
¾ tsp. Salt 
¼ tsp. Pepper 
3 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley 
1 egg 
½ cup bread crumbs 
¼ tsp. hot sauce 
½ tsp. Garlic powder 
½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese 
16 oz. of small bow tie pasta 
2- 32oz. containers of Chicken stock 
1 package of baby spinach

  meatballs cooking 

Directions
Combine turkey and all ingredients except pasta, chicken stock and spinach and mix well in a large bowl. Roll into medium sized meatballs. Brown meatballs in skillet with 2 tbsp. olive oil. While meatballs are browning, pour chicken stock in large pot and bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook pasta in separate pan to al dente. Once meatballs are browned transfer to large pot of chicken stock. Add spinach and simmer 5-10 minutes.  Lastly add cooked pasta. Serve and enjoy!

pumpkins

No comments: